Monday, November 24, 2008

Advertising in a recession... yuck

In response to: http://sweatnosweat.blogspot.com/2008/11/ack-to-work.html

Ugh, trying to sell ethically made products in an economically stagnant time- I do not envy you, Adam. I was actually discussing this with friends, earlier this week who all said they’d like to shop ethically for clothes, but feel lost on how to do so. One friend said he feels risky trying to buy something he’s never tried on, and has only started buying American Apparel since it became available at a local boutique:
(http://www.myspace.com/cactusfloweronkirkwood)
People aren’t necessarily coming into a random store looking for ethically-made clothes, but as soon as they figure out it is ethically made, it seals the deal. Maybe you could get some grass-roots promoters going out to local boutiques (especially in college towns) and trying to get them to carry some of the T’s? The only overhead would be paper for fliers and handbills. If the T’s had their own little display area or where in a window-front, people could look at the fliers while browsing. Hearing something is ethically-made is pretty intriguing to most shoppers in my town.
Band promotion is another big one. A lot of bands I know use ethical garments to screen print on. Almost every band I’ve seen recently has some sort of ethically-made T-shirt to sell, and they generally advertise as such. When everyone is already there, and expecting to buy a T-shirt anyway, why not pay an extra two bucks to support a union or co-op?
There seems to be a lot of great suggestions already up, and I’m sure I’ll come up with some more as time goes on. In the mean time, keep the faith.

No comments: